Podcasting in TEFL
Teaching is a dynamic profession. As a teacher of TEFL in training, you will learn to adopt many technologies into your teaching methodology when you enroll into our courses
What are Podcast?
One of the several teaching tools that will be introduced to you is podcasts. In simple terms, podcasts are audio files made on certain subjects or topics. They can be easily created, subscribed to, shared, and accessed from your smartphone. You can call them a new avatar of radio shows. However they can be of any length, cover any topic and be in any format. They are created and shared through hosting services.
There are several great websites for creating and sharing podcasts. Click below to discover a few such sites:
Why use Podcast in Teaching English?
Podcasts are a popular and effective supplementary aide for Teaching English, especially when it is being taught to non-native speakers. A new language can be difficult to grasp and students need more attention span to focus on lessons.
Using podcasts can be an exciting and productive way of Teaching English. Podcasts are mainly designed for listening. It is easier to concentrate while listening than reading. Listening also helps a new language learner become familiar with pronunciation and diction.
As a teacher, you will find using podcasts to teach English enables your students to:
- Build comprehension
- Focus better
- Develop critical thinking
- Gain presentation and storytelling skills
- Distinguish between formal and conversational styles of speaking English
- Increase vocabulary
- Become confident users of English
How to Use Podcast in Teaching English
To teach English as a Foreign Language, you begin using podcasts thorugh one of the following two options:
- Choose already available podcasts that align with your lesson plans
- Create your own podcasts
Whether you choose pre-created content or build your own, it is important to pay attention to the topic of the podcasts. It is a good idea to use ones on current affairs or ones that cater to your students’ topics of interest.
Here are some ways to integrate podcasts into your lesson plans:
- Use transcripts to supplement the podcasts for a read-along experience.
- Start conversations on the content of the podcasts.
- Build listening-in activities around the podcast. You could prepare mini quizzes, or ask the students to summarize the content. You could even pick words out and ask the students to use them in sentences or stories of their own.
- Train your students into listening in for grammar and word choice.
- Create a class podcast together, Encourage your students to research, create and play the podcasts. The students can be in charge of individual episodes or do it collectively. The possibilities are endless.
The biggest advantage of using Podcasts in Teaching English is that they can be used anywhere and at any time. Your students can use them in class or on the subway, while brushing their teeth or while going to bed. All they need is a phone with internet access. They can download the files to use offline if they choose. Podcasts can, in other words, act as your teaching assistant and be available for your students 24/7!