Study + Work Abroad programs like the TEFL Certifications boost your professional career in any field, not just in EFL teaching. A recent study conducted by the University of Texas shows that graduates which list work abroad programs in their CV, secure employment over graduates who do not count with these work abroad listing in 3 out of every 4 cases. Essentially, by working abroad you improve your professional network by 75%!
The following are 5 career boosting benefits obtained from study + work abroad programs:
1. Improved cognitive skills: problem solving, analytic activity: By working in a foreign culture you are able to increase these skills since you are functioning within a work environment with a different language and work ethics. Employers value professionals who are able to provide multiple solutions to a problem which is exactly what you gain through a study + work abroad program.
2. Sharpening of interpersonal and relationship skills: Building relationships is vital to any professional. Immersing yourself in a foreign country will considerably build your ability to engage and communicate with people, since you do not speak the local language, other communicative skills with come into play. Employers will know that you count with the resources to communicate with people regardless of language barriers.
3. Increased tolerance for ambiguity and adaptability: How much more adaptable can you be if you are living in a place entirely different to where you grew up? By living and working in a foreign country your resume will clearly show your adaptability skills in any professional scenario.
4. Stronger cross cultural sensitivity: Globalization is a fact. The world is getting much smaller and all companies need professionals on their team that understand the global outlook in order to engage with coworkers and clients in a multicultural setting.
5. Related personal traits: character, self-reliance, dependability: When you study + work abroad you entirely depend on yourself. Dependability is a unique trait developed while living and working abroad. Employers will know that you are able to perform within their organizations because you count with the character and self-reliance to function in a foreign country. After working abroad, working at home will be easy.
These are some of the career building points employers will see right away on your CV when listing study + work abroad experiences.
The University of Texas at Austin. Cultural Analysis Toolkit. CIBER at The University of Texas at Austin
Association of American Colleges and Universities (2013). It Takes More Than a Major: Employer Priorities for College Learning and Student Success
*Feel free to share our articles, we only ask for credit! Be sure to mention International Teacher Training Organization as the author and a link back to our website: www.tefl-online.com.